Saturday, April 11, 2009

Elephants & Schoolrooms

My friend and fellow Progressian, Carlos Pardo and his wife Cindy, decided to take a trip of a lifetime - an African safari. They happened to visit a school which was no more than 4 walls, a roof, and dirt floor. That was about 5 years ago, and since then they have started a charitable foundation (http://www.bridgethegaptanzania.com/) and make the trek each year to deliver container loads of school supplies for the kids. Their story and pictures made such an impression on us sthat each Progress Club has donated about $500 to the cause. It got me to thinking that I am due for my trip-of-a-lifetime. Wouldn't an African safari be awsome.



So what did this have to do with baby elephants, you might ask? Well, the also visited a refuge for orphaned baby elephants (http://www.sheldrickwildlifetrust.org/) and the slide show of the little ones being cared for by dedicated volunteers was so touching. Of course, I had to adopt one. I'll get a picture of him/her that I can post in my office. I did this in memory of Malti who died at the Calgary Zoo last year. Cindy is taking care of the transaction for me, and will bring back personal pictures. I'll post it when available.

No comments: